Do you need to register for GST?
– Carrying on a business or an enterprise?
At a glance:
– The Tax Office has provided guidelines on when a taxpayer is required to register for GST.
– Check if you are required to register for GST.
– Contact us if you require any clarification or advice.
The Tax Office has published a guide to assist taxpayers to determine if they are required to register for GST.
Taxpayers carrying on an enterprise can voluntarily register for GST even though they are below the GST registration thresholds.
A taxpayer is required to register for GST if they:
- Have a GST turnover of $75,000 or more;
- Are a non-profit organisation with a GST turnover of $150,000 or more per year;
- Provide taxi or limousine travel for passengers for a fee; or
- Claim fuel tax credits for their business.
– Businesses under the GST threshold are not required to register for GST.