– A taxpayer?
At a glance:
– The Tax Office has compiled a list of exempt income items on which taxpayers do not pay tax.
– Be aware of income that constitutes exempt income.
– Contact us if you require any clarification or advice.
Exempt income is income on which taxpayers are not required to pay tax. However, exempt income will be used in calculating other items, such as tax losses.
Exempt income includes:
- Certain Australian Government pensions, including the disability support pension paid by Centrelink to a person who is under age-pension age;
- Certain Australian Government allowances and payments, including the carer allowance and the child care benefit;
- Certain overseas pay and allowances for Australian Defence Force and Federal Police personnel;
- Australian Government education payments, such as allowances for students under 16 years old; and
- Some scholarships, bursaries, grants and awards.
To find out more, click here.
– You do not pay tax on exempt income.